- Sit up straight and keep your shoulders relaxed.
- Place one hand on the top of the paddle and the other hand about shoulder-width apart on the shaft.
- Dip the blade of the paddle into the water near your feet and pull it towards your hip.
- As the blade nears your hip, twist your torso to help power the stroke.
- Once the blade is out of the water, rotate the paddle and repeat on the other side.
- Try to keep a steady pace and use your core muscles to generate power.
- If you need to turn the canoe, paddle harder on one side than the other.
Remember to always wear a life jacket and be aware of your surroundings, including other boats and any obstacles in the water.